Sunday, July 24, 2011

I have espoused many, many, MANY stupid things in my life but I have two favorites and the second happened today - I'll drop them both for posterity.

1. A year ago, My Dr. was checking/talking to me about my family history for breast cancer. I shared that my aunt had it. He asked "which side?"
I replied "Oh! I don't know she never said!"
His perfectly generous and deadpan response: "Fathers? or Mother's?"
I like to think of a doctors lounge, where they try to one-up each other with the dumbass things people respond or say to them. Perhaps I have a dubious award in that lounge and there is a martini named after me.

2. Today, while having lunch with my mother-in-law, who we haven't seen since last summer, I asked "so hows Grandma?"
I was asking about her mom who died in the Spring. It wasn't just any old forgettable, Spring day that she died. It was my birthday.
I wish my mother-in-law was funnier and would have quipped back with something marvelous - it was such a missed opportunity. Instead she showed so much grace bailing me out with a story of how she had done something similar. What I wouldn't give for a zinger response. Got any?

No comments: